Family Legal Advice Services

Government funding is available for people on low incomes to help you settle disputes about how you’ll care for your children.

If you’re on a low income, you may be able to get some legal advice and help for free through our Family Legal Advice Service. A lawyer from the Family Legal Advice Service will help you understand:

  • Your rights and responsibilities regarding your children.
  • Your legal options regarding their care.
  • Which Family Justice services, including the Family Court, are available to help and how.
  • You can get this help from the Family Legal Advice Service any time before going to court. You can also get help to fill out the court forms if you are applying for a Parenting Order or responding to an application for an Order.

Find out if you qualify

This table is an indication of whether you are eligible for funding. The table shows the most you can have earned to qualify. The maximum income varies with the number of dependants.

Apply for funding

To apply for funding, you need to:

  • Fill out an application form.
  • Provide evidence of your income.
  • Sign a declaration (saying the details you have given are correct).
  • Your Family Legal Advice Service lawyer has the application form and will help you fill it out. They also need to sign the form.